Monday, June 25, 2007

American sawmill workers in Chihuahua 1912

In the spring of 1912, my grandfather Millard Bowden went to Chihuahua to work at a sawmill. His wife and 5 month boy went with him by train from Philadelphia, Mississippi to Mexico. While my grandfather was working, my grandmother and baby "hid" behind mattresses in their rooms. They returned to Mississippi in 1912. I'm looking for newspaper accounts and family stories about these MS sawmill workers in Mexico.

Posted by: Nancy Copes
familytrees@phuntimes.com

http://www.orsonprattbrown.com/MormonColonies
/index-mor-col.html

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"Eleuterio Acosta had traveled as a boy to Colonia Morelos with a burro train from Chihuahua. Mitchell Lillywhite took a great liking to him and took him in, raising him as a son and personally instructing Acosta in milling."
Eleuterio Acosta is my Great Grandfather. Would like more history on the Flour Mill in Colonia Morelos, Sonora.
Best Regards

Min said...

Eleuterio Acosta is also my great grandfather. Do you have any pictures or more info?